Our client is a top financial institution with significant North American holdings. They have operations across most major verticals, including institutional & corporate, wealth management, private client, commercial banking, treasury, and retail banking.
To manage the development and oversight of the organization’s Laboratory Occupational and Safety Program. Ensure that the program meets the needs of organization’s Laboratory so that operations may support the organization mandate and the diverse and specialized requirements specific to the organization Laboratory and is in compliance with regulatory and legislative requirements. To manage the day-to-day operational activities required to maintain the Laboratory Safety Program.
What you will achieve in this role:
- Responsible for ensuring Directors’ and Managers’ accountability through their performance contract for following and participating in the health and safety program and ensuring that their staff participates in the health and safety program as specified in the Laboratories Safety Manual, the CL3 Standard Operating Procedural Manual and instructions issued by the Operations Directors organization’s laboratory.
- Responsible for development and oversight of organization's Occupational Health and Safety program, protocols and standard operating procedures within the organization Laboratories in compliance with regulatory and legislative requirements.
- Reviews and approves; the Plan for Administration Oversight, the Biosecurity Plan, various applicable risk assessments (i.e. Overarching CL3 Local, Biosecurity), and the Respiratory Plan.
- Acts as the CL3 supervisor, who authorizes and oversees the CL3 Laboratory Program.
- Oversee the on-going maintenance of the Effluent Decontamination System (EDS) and Vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (VHP) Decontamination systems.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving licence changes.
- Responsible for assessing potential vulnerabilities and risks in the organization and for responding to emergency events.
- Acts as the liaison with applicable regulatory bodies.
- Maintains organization Laboratories Human Pathogen and Toxins Act (HPTA) registration, coordinates and disseminates Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) import permits, CL2 compliance and CL3 certification. Ensure compliance with Canadian Biosafety Standard and Guidelines (CBSG).
- Approves annual performance verification testing/ trouble shooting and advising CBRE on corrective actions to maintaining compliance with HPTA licence.
- Manages incident investigation (corrective and preventive actions), on biosafety matters. Reports to PHAC as required.
- Convenes the Technical Advisory Committee on Laboratory Safety (TACLS), composed of senior staff, laboratory professionals and Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC), which acts as a safety advisory body and resource group for the scientific and technical aspects of laboratory safety as required.
- Ensures that safety training needs are identified and oversees the education and training delivery to employees related to the health and safety program.
- Maintains oversight over the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) and Safety Incident Reporting system, ensuring corrective actions are finalized and provides leadership with quarterly reporting.
- Ensures mechanisms for continuous quality improvement.
- Supports the Accreditation Canada (AC) Diagnostics laboratory audit process and provides guidance and support to the advisor in preparation for, during and at the conclusion of the third party audit processes.
- Manages and directs staff, congruent with organizations internal policies and procedures, professional standards, collective agreement requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations; assigns staff and implements work/vacation schedules; sets clear responsibilities and objectives, evaluates performance, advises on training needs; participates in recruitment and selection of staff; manages disciplinary issues and responds to grievances in conjunction with the Senior Manager/Director and organization human resource programs.
- Leads the preparation of related executive briefings as required.
- Provides strategic support to network level special projects as assigned by the laboratory senior management (e.g., various quality improvement initiatives).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you will bring to this role:
- Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology or related field.
- Certified Bio-safety Officer and Joint Health and Safety Committee Certified.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified, including a minimum of two (2) years of experience performing day to day supervisory functions of staff (in a unionized environment preferred).
- Minimum of three (3) years of laboratory experience (or a combination of education and experience deemed satisfactory to organization).
- Is qualified as a laboratory technologist with a practising certificate of registration with the CMLTO in good standing (preferred).
- Knowledge of N95 Fit testing, CL2 and CL3 operations and practices.
- Knowledge of Effluent Decontamination Systems (EDS) and Vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (VHP) Decontamination Systems.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of Microbiology or Laboratory Disciplines/Services in a public health laboratory setting to provide technical oversight and lead day to day operations required to maintain the Laboratory Safety Program.
- Knowledge of the roles and authority of the various stakeholders in the medical laboratory system in order to manage operations and develop operational strategies and solutions for the programs.
- Knowledge of project management methods and techniques and skilled in managing multiple projects and delivering measureable results to deadline in a fast paced organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of risk assessment and management, information management and change management in order to effectively manage related business and operational functions.
- Skilled in operational and strategic planning in technology and data management.
We thank you for your interest in the position, however, only those who are qualified will be contacted
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
Our client is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion; creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities, and we provide an accessible candidate experience; accommodations during the application process are available upon request.